A New Age of Career Readiness
January 10, 2024
At a Glance
XR technology is preparing U.S. workers for today’s quality jobs and those of the future. Here, we explore promising uses for XR in training workers across four industry sectors: health care, skilled trades, manufacturing, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA).
Jobs for the Future (JFF) sees extended reality (XR) technology as a driver of equitable economic advancement for all. Training workers—especially frontline workers—on the job is one of the most promising uses for XR technology and contributes to quality jobs. Here, we explore promising uses for XR in training workers across four industry sectors: health care, skilled trades, manufacturing, and diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- Today, XR technology is accelerating readiness for quality jobs, and it offers continued promise for the future.
- XR adoption is growing; 23M jobs worldwide will use XR technology by 2030.
- Immersive learning improves learning retention. Retention rates skyrocket to 75% when learning through immersive simulations, as compared to lecture-style learning (5%) and reading (10%).
- XR training can lower costs. Investing in training and reskilling costs less than hiring new workers.
- Training in XR is growing, especially in some of the occupations that face challenges in hiring and training.
- XR makes training accessible for learners and workers who face barriers to accessing high-quality training.
Fueling innovation through research, story sharing, and rich analysis. Our systems and institutions are under enormous pressure to adapt to rapid change. Innovators, technologists, and entrepreneurs are seizing the moment to design and build solutions…
2020 Immersive Learning Technology
Advances in immersive technologies create new opportunities for companies, educational institutions, and training providers to build engaging, effective, and affordable systems for training people in simulated environments. At JFFLabs, we scan markets to identify promising…
Driving innovation through insights, incubation, and investment. New technologies and models are radically transforming our workforce and education systems. These shifts create opportunity but also risk reinforcing systemic inequities. Promising solutions that maximize learner opportunity…