April 1, 2021
At a Glance
JFF commissioned this report to provide an international perspective on the productivity agenda of Making Opportunity Affordable, a multiyear initiative focused on increasing productivity within U.S. higher education, particularly at two-year and four-yea
JFF commissioned this report to provide an international perspective on the productivity agenda of Making Opportunity Affordable, a multiyear initiative focused on increasing productivity within U.S. higher education, particularly at two-year and four-year public colleges and universities. Authors Arthur Hauptman and Young Kim compare and analyze data on:
- Cost: The amount that countries spend on tertiary education per student;
- Commitment: The share of GDP a country spends on tertiary education; and
- Attainment: The share of working-age adults holding a tertiary education degree.
The report suggests three approaches that the United States should consider to achieve higher attainment at sustainable levels of costs and commitment:
- Focus more resources and attention on community colleges.
- Pay more attention to developing and implementing strategies to improve completion rates at both two-year and four-year institutions.
- Consider increases in enrollments as a means for moderating costs per student and improving productivity.
Reforming math in Florida, ensuring equity in Washington, boosting student support in Michigan, partnering with the workforce system in New Jersey—JFF’s renowned network advances policies and practices that help all students attain high-value credentials. Reforming…
The Leadership Academy connects and supports a network of community leaders, building an understanding of future work and learning trends, and creating opportunities for reflection and design of whole-community strategies that best prepare young residents…
Policy Leadership Trust
This select group of education leaders lets experience be their guide in developing state and federal policies that help students attain credentials for greater success in the labor market. In 2015, JFF established The Policy…