JFFLabs Assessments Impact Accelerator
JFFLabs works with entrepreneurs and growth-stage companies to accelerate and scale technology-based workforce and educational technology innovations.
The future of work is the future of technology and people. In every industry, company, and role, technology is reshaping not only the available jobs but also how people learn and navigate career opportunities.
Transformative innovations in cloud computing, big data, and cybersecurity have spurred tremendous growth in information technology (IT). The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment in computer and IT occupations will grow 13 percent between 2016 to 2026, creating 557,100 new jobs. That’s greater than the average projected growth rate for all occupations. In 2017, the U.S. tech industry added 194,000 new jobs, had 2.8 million job postings, and paid an average annual salary of $112,890—more than double the average national wage, according to the Computing Technology Industry Association.
At the end of 2017, nearly 500,000 IT job postings were unfilled nationally. At JFFLabs, we see that as an opportunity to help young people and individuals in transition access high-quality careers that pay family-supporting wages. But to take advantage of this opportunity, we must train hundreds of thousands of new workers over the coming years.
Assessments paired with IT pre-apprenticeship programs can be particularly effective because they support career exploration and identify candidates most likely to be successful.
Elyse Burden, Co-founder, Real World Scholars & JFFLabs Work-Based Learning Accelerator Partner
As social entrepreneurs, you know it’s important to do your research and connect with the most promising opportunities.
Who We’re Looking For
First and foremost, we're looking for great ideas. We’re seeking entrepreneurs and startups that have solutions that can have big impacts, and whose missions are aligned with JFF’s. JFFLabs is particularly interested in early- and growth-stage tech-enabled startups with a proof of concept or a product on the market.
We’re looking for solutions that identify, select, and support the training and development of talent for entry- and mid-skill IT roles. Examples include tools that assess technical and/or human skills (also known as employability skills or soft skills).
Applicants will be evaluated on a variety of factors, including:
- Alignment to JFF's mission
- Outcomes to date
- Commitment to equity
- Alignment to learning science and validity
- Leadership team
- Financial stability
Who May Apply
For-profit and nonprofit companies with existing customers and/or partnerships in the United States.
What to Expect
JFFLabs works with entrepreneurs and growth-stage companies to accelerate and scale technology-based workforce and educational technology innovations. Four companies will be selected for the JFFLabs Assessment Impact Accelerator. We do not charge any fees or take equity. Here are examples of the services we provide:
- Tailored Go-To-Market Support: The JFFLabs Impact Accelerator meets entrepreneurs where they are in their journeys toward impact. We accelerate great ideas and technologies to generate business-aligned impact for workers and learners.
- Customized Implementation Plans: All partners receive customized implementation plans and consulting aligned to their needs and development road maps. Step one of our partnerships is to develop a go-to-market strategic plan that defines objectives, key performance indicators, communication plans, and other impact-focused activities.
- Marketing and Communications Support: Working with the JFF communications team, each partner will receive support with strategic positioning and messaging, media outreach, social media and digital marketing engagement, and event participation promotion. Each partner co-authors one Impact Story published on the JFF.org that’s distributed throughout the JFF’s channels and networks.
- Live Impact Story Event: Our live impact story event brings the story of your work and impact to a wide audience. Check out our last Impact Story event at ASU GSV X.
- Distributed Model: Our Impact Accelerator does not require relocation or travel other than travel to the Live Impact Story Event.
Together we will demonstrate the effectiveness and value of your solution, while simultaneously creating immediate benefit for workers, employers, training providers, and system stakeholders. We’ll seek to elevate awareness and scale use of the best mission-aligned tools, enhancing pre-apprenticeship program performance across industries and regions.
Timeline and Format
The JFFLabs Assessments Accelerator is a five-month go-to-market partnership to accelerate promising early- and growth-stage tech-enabled startups.
Monday, August 12, 2019
September 24, 11:59 p.m. ET
Finalists Selected and Notified
October 2019 to March 2020
Impact Story Live Event